Monday, February 8, 2021

Penguins and Groundhog Day

 Hello and Welcome

I hope you are all keeping well and safe in these uncertain times.
This past week, we learned all about Penguins.  Kids seem to love this interesting creature.  
It was also Groundhog Day for us here.  I think it is a very unusual way to predict the weather but hey, it's lots of fun to watch and see if the groundhog will see his shadow or not.  BTW, he didn't see his shadow and run back into his hole so that means an early Spring!!  We will gladly take that.

So here's what we did last week.

Groundhog
We made these fun groundhog pop ups using a paper bag as the hole in the ground.  
I glued the groundhog image onto a craft stick and the kids coloured them.  



Here's a video showing the groundhog poking his head out of his hole.

We also made a book showing the groundhog.
This is an old printout that I had so I'm sorry there is no link.


We made lots of shadows while playing outside but glad the Groundhog didn't see his!




Penguin Wreath
A simple wreath using a paper plate as the base.

Penguin Frig Magnet
We made this cute penguin frig magnet using an old CD as the base.



Penguin Puppet
A simple puppet using an envelope.



Penguin Egg Roll
We made these cute little penguins using black paper cups I found at the Dollar Tree.
I cut a hole in the front for the egg.  We learned how the penguins tuck their eggs underneath them to keep them warm.  We used a little styrofoam ball as the egg.
They had a blast trying to roll the little ball into the penguin.



We added this cute join up the dots to our homework books.

Thanks so very much for coming by and taking a look.



2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous post Karen, the projects are brilliant and great fun, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information on the groundhog...I am learning all the time x. Yes I'll take an early Spring x. I love penguins too and I loved your fun projects. The little eggs and the egg roll was super fun x. Another fun and educational week for the kiddos and me Karen!!!.....Lol x.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for looking at my blog today, your comments are greatly appreciated.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.