Sunday, November 15, 2020

Migration and Remembrance Day

 

How does a Pumpkin Grow?
We made a spinner to learn how the pumpkin goes from seed to fully grown.
I found the print outs online.
Below is a video of the spinner in action.








Migrating Geese
Since I live near a Conservation Area, we are seeing a lot of geese flying overhead.  
We made this mobile to show the geese flying.
here is the printout I used:




Remembrance Day
We made these lovely poppy pictures to remember all those who helped make our country so great.

Colouring Sheet 
We made it into a banner.

Poppies to wear too.








Flying Geese
We made these simple flying geese using a paper plate. 
I added string and a stick for flying.





Experiment
Since we were talking about migration this week and why the birds migrate, it was a good time for some hands on learning.
So I filled a dish with some water and we dropped in some Cheerios.  I asked the kids to pick a cheerio out of the water....that was what it is like for the birds to get food in the summer.
Then we put the dish with the cereal into the freezer and when it was frozen, kids tried to pick out the cereal and couldn't as it was frozen under the ice.  That was the winter and why the birds fly south where it is warm and they can still get their food.
This was an awesome activity and they all had a better understanding of why instead of me just telling them.  Some of them even went home and wanted to try the experiment again.


Well thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.


2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post Karen and your makes are amazing. The experiment is so educational in a simple way for the children to understand, especially as it's interactive.
    I love watching the geese flying over, I think my street is on their flightpath. When I hear them coming.... the make such a noise, I'm always out to see them fly past on their way to warmer climes, take care, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an educational experiment with the kiddos with the cheerios Karen x. I love the flying geese them and the poignant Remembrance Day x.....And now I know how a pumpkin grows too......Thank you x.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for looking at my blog today, your comments are greatly appreciated.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.